Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Meet “1SweetMama” – Entry #1

Want to know what it’s like to live in the “Ice Cream Capital of the World®”? For me, living here is exactly as our town slogan boasts: “Life is sweet!”

Nestled into the rural, northwest corner of the state of Iowa, Le Mars is a town made up of nearly 9,500 people – good, decent Midwest folks who possess a love of family, a love of country and a love for something else……ice cream!

I guess you will get to know me a little better as you stick with this blog but I hope to dish out some interesting “spoon-sized” perspectives on life from a fellow ice cream enthusiast, mom, and career-gal who just so happens to live in a place which is officially recognized as the “Ice Cream Capital of the World”.

As crazy and scary and wondrous and meticulous and silly as life is, I want you to see it as I see it….“The Sweet Life” as viewed by someone like me who is, like you, slogging through it. I however, slog through it wearing ice cream-colored glasses.

Maybe by reading this blog, you might don your “ice cream colored glasses”, too and see things a little differently. More sweetly. If you are a nasty person with a negative attitude and refuse to ever change your perspective on life, then you can go read someone else’s blog. I will just tick you off.

Don’t be fooled. This blog is not all “sweetness and light”. If you are expecting that, you can stop reading, too. I may be too edgy for you.

Stick with me and I think we can all learn to get along.

That being said, I, perhaps, have the sweetest of life situations (yes, the pun is intended) in Le Mars, Iowa. I am able to satisfy my obsession for ice cream every day as I work for a company that makes it. Okay, so I’m not gonna lie to you….my blog will be peppered with references to my very favorite ice cream of all, Blue Bunny, but I promise not to ever make you feel like I am the travelling salesman for Blue Bunny. I do not work on a commission….I only work for my passion….and an actual boss who gives me an occasional deadline or two, but he likes ice cream, too, which makes coming to work pretty cool (another pun!). And did you know that where I work…Wells’ Dairy, Inc., makers of Blue Bunny ice cream and novelties…. get FREE ice cream all day, every day in the office? We all do! Every last employee. As you can imagine…..we have a very happy workforce!

Stay tuned as I write about looking at life through the eyes of an ice cream fanatic living in a place where more ice cream is made than in any other singular location on the planet and where, on the days that the plant is making certain flavors of ice cream, you can drive by and actually smell the vanilla, chocolate, or butter pecan floating on the breeze.

Until next time, I remain: 1SweetMama

No comments: