Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Are Ya Feelin' Lucky?


Today is St. Patrick’s Day and this morning, while I was walking Max, I got to thinking about this day and how it is known for celebrating the Luck o’ the Irish.

Now, I am mostly German and Scottish, by ancestry, but I understand that there is a wee bit o’ Irish in me somewhere and on no other day of the year is it more prevalent than today. But this morning, I was trying to contemplate something else, other than the wearin o’ the green, or eating corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight.

I was thinking about my luck.

The Luck of the Irish historically refers to the fact that the Irish people have come through such overwhelming adversity and have come out on top and kicking! It must be luck... or true perseverance. Or stubbornness. Whatever it is, I think that I might actually be more Irish than I thought.

There has been some adversity here and there to overcome and I feel as though I have not only come out on top but have found my way to the end of the rainbow, too. I have been very lucky. My life has been, for the most part, very good.

A wonderful childhood. A solid upbringing with parents and grandparents who have been and continue to be my rock and my compass. Two healthy and amazing children who make me laugh every single day – even if it is sometimes through tears.

For the past two and a half years, I have been lucky enough to have been placed in the life of a simply remarkable man who I adore and hope to one day spend the rest of my life with. My health. A solid job with benefits. A roof over my head. Food on the table. Fun in my life. Friends. Family. Laughter. Inspiration. …and all of you who follow this blog on a weekly basis – it is truly my creative outlet.

Yes, my friends….while St. Patrick may be remembered for leading the snakes out of Ireland, I hope I am remembered as the nice girl who realized that the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow was her richness of life and the value of everyone who contributed to it.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

No comments: