Friday, March 27, 2009

"I Would Like To Thank My Family..."

Last time we were together, we talked about how you should always have an elevator speech so that you can give a brief “who-you-are-and-what-you-do” overview of yourself, should you ever need to produce it at a moment’s notice. I also told you that it is nice if you also had your “Oscar Speech” ready, as well. What is an “Oscar Speech”?

In order to explain this, I feel I should back up and address Oscar Night. This is the night, usually held in the month of March where celebrities parade up and down a red carpet in their designer finery and celebrate great talents in the cinematic arena. This is also the night when those selected as the “top” in their field of work are awarded a shining gold statue and invited to address the audience. We have all watched these thank you speeches and anticipate that incredibly awkward moment when the music comes up and some classic talent is cut short during his or her remarks. It is (in the eyes of the producers and directors of this carefully choreographed event, the most “PC” way to offer up) the theatrical “hook” to yank those windbags off the stage so the evening doesn’t end up running so late that we are all sound asleep on the couch in time to hear the “Best Actor” category.

Any-hoodles….

Our own “Oscar Speech” is one we should all try to have just in case we are publicly acknowledged for a job well done. It is one that relays our gratitude and recognizes those who have helped us along the way.

I recently attended a dinner in which the recipient of an award took 20 minutes to say thank you. By the time they were done, the audience was coughing and shifting in their seats so much that I became wildly uncomfortable. The honored recipient never realized that sometimes, when it comes to bestowing thanks upon others, that too much is not a good thing.

Also – how many times have you heard someone reflect on a thank you speech they gave and say, “Oh, no! I forgot to thank my wife!”

If you have your “Oscar Speech” prepared, you will never forget those important people and you will never have to write it out on a little white card (come on…how grateful can you be to anyone who you can’t remember their names on your own??).

My Oscar Speech would go something like this:

“I am honored that you would recognize me for something that I am so proud to have been a part of. I want to thank everyone involved in the project who contributed their time and talents so selflessly and I want to thank all of you for your continued support. I want to thank my family, especially P.O.D. (remember this guy? If not, read my blog archives, for goodness sake!), for being so understanding of my passion for this project. I realize that sometimes it meant a sacrifice to them but they, like I, felt that what we were doing was a valuable contribution toward (insert whoever benefitted from the project). Thanks again.”

Keep it general. Keep it short. Show gratitude and make a graceful exit off the stage. Nobody wants to hear you grandstanding or taking up a filibuster for your cause.

And that’s your Oscar Speech. Have this one ready, too….you never know when you might need it.

No comments: